Fantasy World League Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:36:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
FWL GMs! Register your name with the team name after it, like "TC-Sacramento"!
5375 Posts in 1144 Topics by 25 Members
Latest Member: Jack-NewYork
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Fantasy World League Forum
|-+  FWL Boards
| |-+  FWL Articles
| | |-+  Spectrum Review book (Non-FWL)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Spectrum Review book (Non-FWL)  (Read 1615 times)
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« on: June 10, 2008, 10:09:22 AM »

Along with american footy my other love is retro gaming, back in the 80's in the UK the Sinclair Spectrum sold a ton of machines and of course games - Manic Miner, Sabre Wulf, Jet Pac, some people may recognise.

Me and another friend have created a book at lulu.com (The first in a series of 6) , its full of fans reviews of games from 1982-1984, nearly 260 pages, 200+ reviews, colour covers, black and white inside.  I've got a copy and i'm proud of it, currently working on book 2 (1985-1986).  Its £7.95, i know its a bit pricey but we make a small amount from the sale of each book, lulu.com take up most of the money. 

The websites at..

http://www.spectrumgamesbible.co.uk/

We pay 50p per review we use and people get the money via paypal or if they want to charity.

Sold a few copies already, only just come out.  I know i shouldnt 'pimp' my own book on the forum but to hell with it Wink

http://www.lulu.com/content/2637626

Just thought i would announce it if theres any other retro gaming fans from the 80's.  Our very own Jason.C has a fair few reviews in there (Hope you've bought a copy Jason !)
jcompton-Orlando
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:21:40 PM »

What, and blow all my money at once?

Is there any way you can expand the preview range s a touch to actually include a few of the reviews? People might like to read a little of the actual content.

I want to be Stan Gelbaugh when I grow up.
Andrew-Neutral

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 02:06:10 PM »

I was always a BBC Micro man in my formative years, but I secretly dreamt of having a speccy to play Daley Thompson's Decathlon on. All the cool kids at school had Speccies, whereas those of us with interlectual leanings had BBC micros or Commodore 64s.

Actually, our first computer was an Apple II which had great games on such as - "Bill Budge's California Space Album", "Sink The Biskmark" and the classic "Lemonade". Any chance of a book on "Lemonade"?

Andrew
GM of the Year, season 5
Official FWL Stats-Geek
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 04:19:20 AM »

What, and blow all my money at once?

Is there any way you can expand the preview range s a touch to actually include a few of the reviews? People might like to read a little of the actual content.

Good point, forgot to do that initially. Changed it to the first 50 pages
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 04:20:16 AM »

I was always a BBC Micro man in my formative years, but I secretly dreamt of having a speccy to play Daley Thompson's Decathlon on. All the cool kids at school had Speccies, whereas those of us with interlectual leanings had BBC micros or Commodore 64s.

Actually, our first computer was an Apple II which had great games on such as - "Bill Budge's California Space Album", "Sink The Biskmark" and the classic "Lemonade". Any chance of a book on "Lemonade"?

BBC !  Must have had rich parents Wink

Decathlon was cool but a complete joystick breaker, always played that on the keyboard.

A book on Lemonade ? Nearly done, 500 pages about it about to be published Wink

Not really !

Doing book 2 at the moment, enjoy doing it, quite stressful glueing it all together though !
Andrew-Neutral

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 10:35:53 AM »

BBC !  Must have had rich parents Wink

Decathlon was cool but a complete joystick breaker, always played that on the keyboard.

A book on Lemonade ? Nearly done, 500 pages about it about to be published Wink

Not really !

Doing book 2 at the moment, enjoy doing it, quite stressful glueing it all together though !
We always played Decathlon by putting a golf ball between the two keys requried to make Daley run, then by swift wrist movements, moving the golf ball from left to right rapidly. Only worked on the rubber keyboard Speccy, though.

Andrew
GM of the Year, season 5
Official FWL Stats-Geek
Andrew-Neutral

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 06:51:16 AM »

Just found a Flash version of Lemonade - http://www.ae4rv.com/games/lemonade.htm - my life is now complete.

Andrew
GM of the Year, season 5
Official FWL Stats-Geek
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2008, 03:19:48 AM »

There is a really good Pocket PC version as well of a similar game like this

Quite happy - sold 45 copies of the book so far !
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: