Fantasy World League Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:32:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
FWL GMs! Register your name with the team name after it, like "TC-Sacramento"!
5375 Posts in 1144 Topics by 25 Members
Latest Member: Jack-NewYork
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Fantasy World League Forum
|-+  FWL Boards
| |-+  FWL Articles
| | |-+  Week 13 Preview !!! - 2 weeks to go !
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Week 13 Preview !!! - 2 weeks to go !  (Read 12771 times)
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« on: October 31, 2005, 04:11:08 AM »

Its coming down to the last 2 weeks of the regular season and theres yet again some huge games this week...

Sacramento at Orlando

Both teams are out of the playoffs, Sacramento were going to start their young backup QB Rob Adamson but lately Todd Bouman with 3 300 yard performances in the last 3 weeks and 9 td's and 1 int will get the nod again.  After losing 2 straight Orlando will want to give their home fans something to cheer about.  In past years this was a huge clash but sadly now its a game between two losing teams.

Orlando by 3

New York at Birmingham

It doesnt get any easier for NY, with their top two RB's injured and their starting QB injured the Knights might struggle in this game.  Birmingham have looked very good the second half of the year thanks to QB Seth Burford and HB Clarence Williams who has given the Fire their best rushing attack in years.  A loss for NY doesnt matter much as they face San Antonio the following week for the AFC #1 seed.  The question is, will Phil Stambaugh be back for that game ?

New York by 1

Mexico at Ohio

It looked so good for Mexico earlier in the season but some tough close losses have hurt them.  Ohio are 7-2 in their last 9 games and a win here guarantees them a wildcard place.  With 70,000 fans screaming at home for Ohio it will be tough for Mexico to win this one.

Ohio by 7

Montreal at Raleigh-Durham

In past years Montreal have had the odd upset by the Skyhawks late in the year, this year could be no exception.  Raleigh have won their only 2 games at home and looked good last week against Rhein.  They have a new HB who had a huge game last week and could upset Montreal.  Montreal badly need a win here to stay in the playoff race, HB Corey Walker doesnt look 100% since returning from injury and being away will give Raleigh the advantage here.  Montreal should overcome Raleigh but it could be close

Montreal by 7

Rhein at Amsterdam

The Admirals should have won last weeks game against Frankfurt which would have given them the EFC East division.  They will feel hard done by but Frankfurt face a tough last 2 weeks whereas Amsterdam have two easier games.  Amsterdam could still win the division, they are a class team who can pass/rush the ball and who have a great defense.  If it wasnt for a late collaspe against Frankfurt they would be one of the top teams in the league.  As for Rhein, they cant seem to run the ball and that has hurt them all year. 

Amsterdam by 10

San Antonio at Berlin

The Thunder might want to go out with a bang here, it could be the last home game for the Barnes-Blundin combination.  Both players are still playing very well but HB Omar Bacon has been a huge disappointment.  San Antonio are on fire at the moment and some pundits rate them a better team than the Knights.  The result wont matter here for the Riders, next weeks game against New York is the huge one !

San Antonio by 14

Barcelona at Scottish

Since the Dragons changed their rushing attack and benched Chad Dukes the team have lost 6 straight games.  For Scotland they had a great win over Berlin last week and could get another win here.  A win would put them out of the #1 overall pick in the draft but the Claymores are fighting for respect.

Scotland by 10

Paris at London

A huge EFC West clash here.  If London loses they could perhaps miss the playoffs, for Paris their only two defeats in the last 9 games have been to Austria and Amsterdam.  London have the advantage as they are at home but they disappointed last week on the road at Austria.  Paris have had a fine year but want more.  Should be a great clash

London by 3

Frankfurt at Austria

Austria are the #1 seed in the EFC but will want to keep winning to get homefield throughout the league.  Also a win here against last years FWL Bowl winners will show that Austria really are for real. Last week against London they played well but they dont seem to dominate many teams like past FWL Bowl winners have.  Thats why many people think Austria are a great team but not an FWL Bowl winners type of team.  They are methodical much like the NFL's New England Patriots, theyre not exciting but all they do is win games.  QB Curt Anes really needs to step up and have a big game.  For Frankfurt they need a win badly to continue their drive to win the EFC East.
jcompton-Orlando
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 10:08:28 AM »

Ugh... I'm having flashbacks to Season 11 here...

I want to be Stan Gelbaugh when I grow up.
Niki
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 10:36:01 AM »

Ugh... I'm having flashbacks to Season 11 here...

not to season 9 Huh That the Admirals (1-12) beat you in week 14 Kiss
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 11:26:53 AM »

Remember that game now !

I know theres loads i want to do to the FWL (one is to get every sgames on the site) but i would love to have a feature on classic games from years gone past

The Ads at 1-12 that year upsetting London on the final week was a huge shocker
jcompton-Orlando
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2005, 01:04:47 PM »

Because I think it would be really cool for Amsterdam to become the league's first two-division winning franchise, I'd like to see the necessary scenario of the Ads winning out and the Galaxy being blanked, but particularly with the Men of Kreiner having nothing at all to play for now that they've sewn up the top EFC seed, it looks rather likely that the Galaxy will clinch their nth division title on Wednesday.

Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2005, 01:18:00 PM »

Well for Mario i would say its still important to win another game to claim homefield advantage throughout the playoffs including the FWL Bowl.  If Mario makes it to the FWL Bowl and then faces a team away then he will be at a slight disadvantage

However as we've seen in past years of the playoffs anything can happen !
Mario ADK

GM Austria DarkKnights

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 04:31:54 AM »

This ADK-team is NOT for real. You cannot make it to the Bowl without an offense. I mean we are playing the most boring offensive football there is in the FWL (but the most electrifying defensive football there is in the world...)

i am going to try to beat Frankfurt next week using all my starters (unless they are injured) just for the sake of beating the all-time-GM but will surely play all bakcups against SCO to hand my friend Munro a (meaningless) win.

McNeil of for the playoffs is tough to swallow but i am confident to make it to the EFC-game and i will play it a home for sure. But i would not be surprised if luck turns against me and i drop out in the  Wildcard-game. Would be very disappointing.....

If i had a wish i would rather play Paris than Amsterdam (or London) in the wildcard-game as i have to settle a bill with them. If i proceed it will defenitely be Frankfurt whom i am going to face.....

But all in all:
ADK is not for real, but i like it the way things turn out. Better than having a brilliant team but ending out of PO-race due to bad luck.....

Former GM Austria DarkKnights (FWL-season 21 is 12th Season as GM):
GM of the Year - Season #2; #15
FWL-BOWL-Champion - Season #3; #15
EFC Champion - Season #3; #15
EFC WEST Champion - Season #2; #3; #4; #5; #13; #14; #15
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 04:42:31 AM »

i am going to try to beat Frankfurt next week using all my starters (unless they are injured) just for the sake of beating the all-time-GM but will surely play all bakcups against SCO to hand my friend Munro a (meaningless) win.

Mario !  We dont condone 'fixed' games like that !  And for all you know Ronnie might not actually want to win ! If i was 2-10 and perhaps had the chance to go for the first overall pick i wouldnt be too bothered about winning my last 2 games.  I would start the youngsters as the season is over for me at 2-10 and i'll see what they can do.

In the future you then cant moan if a team does the same thing to you, eg you need them to win but they start their youngsters.

I love the FWL as i like trying to make it 'real'.  A team who are fighting for the number 1 seed in the FWL , i just think its a bit unusual to then start backups.

Like i keep saying the Patriots offense is boring as hell but it works.  Who cares if you win championships ?  I dont know any Patriot fans who moan about their offense when theyre winning Superbowls.  So far your team reminds me of the Baltimore Ravens SB team, not tons of offense but a great defense.
Mario ADK

GM Austria DarkKnights

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 04:50:34 AM »

Mario !  We dont condone 'fixed' games like that !  And for all you know Ronnie might not actually want to win !

your point regarding Ronnie is a good one. and i will adjust to that. but please do not be angry: i do not want to risk any injuries before POs so that is why i will defenitely not play all my starters:
i wont play: Anes, Jackson, Hatchette, Mayer and Barr or Ishida.
Not sure if Dinwiddie or Abrew will get the call.. we will se...

Sorry for that but to have healthy players in the POs is more important to me taht finishing with yet another rather meanginless win. And i still think my "B"-Team can win against a 2-11-team as well....

Former GM Austria DarkKnights (FWL-season 21 is 12th Season as GM):
GM of the Year - Season #2; #15
FWL-BOWL-Champion - Season #3; #15
EFC Champion - Season #3; #15
EFC WEST Champion - Season #2; #3; #4; #5; #13; #14; #15
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 05:45:05 AM »

Well i do kind of get your point but you just worded it wrong by saying you would be giving the win to Ronnie your old friend !  Even if you are thinking of that dont announce it on the forum !

But what i dont get is that homefield advantage you have in the EFC but if you win one game more at least or perhaps two you have homefield advantage throughout the playoffs which could be crucial 'if' you make it to the FWL Bowl

I've also seen many teams resting players and then when they start them again because they had a week off they dont seem to play as well.  Seen that many times in the past.  As they say 'if it aint broke dont fix it'.

Niki
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 07:03:57 AM »

Well i do kind of get your point but you just worded it wrong by saying you would be giving the win to Ronnie your old friend !  Even if you are thinking of that dont announce it on the forum !

Shocked I think thinking of giving a vic to someone else should be illegal! By giving away victories you can have influence on the draft. Austria has the 1st round pick of Birmingham 3-9 and Scotland is 2-10.

I general I do not understand it that you play with your back ups, okay your starters will not get injuried but the past proved that started that get some rest (especially QB's) play not as good as they did before the rest.
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 07:10:28 AM »

Actually good point Niki

Mario is obviously tracking Birminghams progress as he has their draft pick.  Now it puts us in a difficult position, if Mario plays too many backups in Week 14 i wont make all the changes as i think this is bordering to 'fixing' the game.

I shall be keeping a close eye on the Week 14 game !!!  He already says he wants to give his 'friend Ronnie the win' but as you point out theres more behind it than that, if Scotland win and Birmingham lose then it might give the Fire the #1 pick which of course Mario has !

One thing in the FWL is that there is no cheating or fixing of games.  If some of the choices look a bit too bizarre for Week 14 i wont make them for Austria.

Plus when you are about to enter the playoffs you want all your players playing.  Same in the NFL, only a few times in the past years have teams relaxed on the final weekend only to get thrashed before they then start the playoffs.  Some teams win in the playoffs but many dont seem to gell as much.

I shall be carefully watching the Week 14 roster of Austria

Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 07:14:09 AM »

but will surely play all bakcups against SCO to hand my friend Munro a (meaningless) win.

Mario wants to beat Frankfurt but if i am one game away from holding the #1 seed in the entire league then i would go for it as its just one game and i would have then homefield advantage.

But like i say i shall be closely watching this game.  If there was nothing to play for then yes play backups even though i think you should be on a roll before the playoffs BUT if there is nothing to play for fair enough.  BUT if Austria enter Week 14 and need a win to get the #1 seed overall i find it bizarre not to go for that.

If things look too 'strange' draft picks shall be docked from Austria.  Now it puts us in a difficult position as to the Week 14 game, if Scotland somehow beat Austria (how often does the best team in the league lose to the worst team in Week 14 ?)  and Birmingham lose to get the #1 overall draft pick then that will be looked at and reviewed

A while back Amsterdam (1-11) beat London i think it was late in the year to stop their playoff chances but London had their full strength team out.

Reminds me of when the Frankfurt Galaxy who made the World Bowl played with backups and lost to the worst team in the league to push Scotland out of the World Bowl match.  Of course earlier in the season Scotland had beaten Frankfurt and also had looked the most explosive.
Niki
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 07:21:52 AM »

I shall be keeping a close eye on the Week 14 game !!!  He already says he wants to give his 'friend Ronnie the win' but as you point out theres more behind it than that, if Scotland win and Birmingham lose then it might give the Fire the #1 pick which of course Mario has !

it is not in general about teh #1 pick, but more between number 1-7:

R-D 2-10
Claymores 2-10
Birmingham 3-9
Barcelona 3-9
Orlando 4-8
Berlin 4-8
Rhein 4-8

But it can help to push Birmingham pick in a better position, that is all the point I wanted to make
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 07:45:36 AM »

Well if Birmingham and Scotland both finish at 3-11 who finishes first/second ?

Niki
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2005, 07:49:06 AM »

Well if Birmingham and Scotland both finish at 3-11 who finishes first/second ?

then the conf record will decide:

Birmingham will be 3-8
Claymores 2-9

so Claymores will be over Birmingham in that case, same case with division record!
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2005, 08:25:10 AM »

Oh i see.  Well we'll see then.

Birmingham have two home games left to play and they stand a good chance against Orlando in the final week and face a tough New York team this week.

At the moment it looks like the Skyhawks/Claymores will have the first overall pick and then Birmingham or some other teams with the third

Either way when Austria all season long has been rooting for the team to lose who they have their first round pick of (was Ohio, now Birmingham) so they can get a high pick and then mention they would like the Claymores to win (so perhaps giving their draft pick a place higher) then the league management will look at this very closely !!!

jcompton-Orlando
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2005, 09:36:04 AM »

Mario's totally within his rights to rest his key players. I've done the same thing in those rare occasions when I've had "meaningless games" left on the schedule, others have done it as well, real teams do it, etc. etc.

Niki
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2005, 10:01:07 AM »

Mario's totally within his rights to rest his key players. I've done the same thing in those rare occasions when I've had "meaningless games" left on the schedule, others have done it as well, real teams do it, etc. etc.

but in this case he put himself in this situation! He announced that he would give his friend Munro a victory (which is strange since the Claymores can use a lose instead of a vic to have a better top pick).

Personally: I always play with my best team, I think it is not fair to other teams if I lose because my second team is playing and I like to win as much as possible games.
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2005, 10:26:38 AM »

Like Niki says any team can rest players and they are within their rights but its just a bit more 'sinister' when all season long Mario has been tracking Birminghams games as he has their #1 draft pick, then 'surprise surprise' he mentions giving Scotland a win which would then perhaps give Mario the #2 overall pick instead of #3.

If the Birmingham pick wasnt Austrias then none of this would really matter.  Just its a bit 'strange' when Scotland/Birmingham are next to each other in the draft order with 2 weeks left and Mario mentions giving Scotland a win.

Hmm !
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: