Fantasy World League Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:10:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
FWL GMs! Register your name with the team name after it, like "TC-Sacramento"!
5375 Posts in 1144 Topics by 25 Members
Latest Member: Jack-NewYork
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Fantasy World League Forum
|-+  FWL Boards
| |-+  FWL Articles
| | |-+  Retirements
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Retirements  (Read 3280 times)
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« on: May 14, 2010, 06:27:05 AM »

Whoever the new Knights GM will be they'll have a ton of work to do.  New York do have some talent but were hit very hard by retirements, 10 players !  Plus they still have some veterans remaining on the team (8 players in their 10th or more seasons).

They do have Payton at HB and also have 3 good QB's who should have a great battle for the starting job.

But the Knights are painfully thin at LB and the d-line.  Whoever the new GM is will have a ton of work to do
jcompton-Orlando
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 08:01:07 PM »

I notice that we didn't lose the free agents this time, which I think sometimes happens after retirements. That's fine, but particularly for the depleted Knights, it would be valuable to give a new GM the chance to make some FA bids before having to face the draft. (That's true for all of us, of course, but for a vacant team with so many sudden roster holes, it's even more crucial.)

Not too many surprises on the list this year, although I notice that David has shifted his magic anti-retirement powder to his kicker, and Mario seems to suffer the surprise young-player retirements more often than the rest of us...

I want to be Stan Gelbaugh when I grow up.
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 05:28:56 AM »

Well all the FA's were lost.

I went through and noted down the names of all the FA's and then unretired all of them (Theyre the same players so they keep the same stats).  Think i did it to about 50 or so players, and yes it was a painful job !

I've had one team send me in FA requests already which is fine, but i think it'll be good to get other GM's on board first and then allocate the FA's.  Be unfair for NY and other teams other wise.

Davids now got the FWL files so i cant make any roster moves etc so it'll give me time to get a list of FA requests from all the teams and then once i get the files back (with the rookies) I'll allocate FA's then.

I think its actually quite good a fair few players have retired in the league, makes it a bit more fun to try and fill the holes by trading/drafting and gives the league a bit of a change.
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 05:29:55 AM »

By the way was very very surprised HB Curtis Alexander didnt retire !  Gives Mark a big headache, last year he gave the job to Alexander (After Battle played poorly) and Alexander did well.  But hes aged badly this offseason, i hope hes not cut or inactive all year but its a shame Alexander didnt retire last year.
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 05:34:46 AM »

Also some interesting choices to be made in San Antonio (Will Clint Stoerner start ?) and Scotland (Craig Nall has lost skills but his INT is superb).  If Nall was a backup i think some of the losing teams should trade for him to be their starter for 1 or 2 seasons.

Oldest players in the league now are the two kickers who i thought would retire..

K Jose Cortez - Montreal
K Jim Tarle - San Antonio

IF Cortez starts this year he could create a major major record which might not ever be beaten, you dont get many players make it to their 15th season in leagues like this.

Cortez's first season in the league...

http://www.fwl.org.uk/teams7.htm#A9

Drafted in the 3rd round at the end of season 6 !  Quite different back then !
jcompton-Orlando
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 12:51:10 PM »

I went through and noted down the names of all the FA's and then unretired all of them (Theyre the same players so they keep the same stats).  Think i did it to about 50 or so players, and yes it was a painful job !

I've had one team send me in FA requests already which is fine, but i think it'll be good to get other GM's on board first and then allocate the FA's.  Be unfair for NY and other teams other wise.

Right. Post a date for us so we know not to miss. I have a few waiver claims I'd like to try...

jcompton-Orlando
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 10:40:27 AM »

What's extra-scary for any incoming NY/NJ GM is next year's retirement picture. The roster has eight players with 10 years or more--serious danger zone for retirement. Five are starters, another two are first-backup offensive linemen. Stretch the retirement risk category down to players in their eighth year or more, and the picture gets much worse--four of the five defensive linemen under contract.

I have a feeling those players with stockpiles of mid-round draft picks will be doing a lot of deals with the new Knights GM...

(Of course, most of us have some problem or other. My offensive line is made up of old men who refuse to retire. My safeties are going from "young and slow" to "old and slower." And so on...)

Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 04:24:43 PM »

Right. Post a date for us so we know not to miss. I have a few waiver claims I'd like to try...

Not sure yet, depends on when i get the files back from David.  Until i get the files then nothing can be input into the program so i'll wait.  I'll announce it on the FWL mailing list when FA's will be allocated though
Niki

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 05:10:38 PM »

rebuilding NY is a hughe job. The only plus is that NY did not trade away any of its draft picks ....

The Oline is old and understaffed - 8 players of which 4 are 10 years or olders
Dline - understaffed as well - 5 players of which 4 players are 8 years or older
LB's - only (they are all young)

The team could be made more attarctive for new GM when NY will sign the two young FA LB's:

LB         Hayden, Larry            OK     3     76 72 65 78 59 63 68 62
LB         Thomas, Dontarrious      OK     2     72 70 61 79 57 66 68 57
and the young Oliner:
T          Palmer, Jonathan         OK     2     73 84 68 91 72 71 64 69

They are not super players but they are young
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 07:49:11 AM »

Well normally when its the offseason and every teams record is 0-0 theres no preference to last years record when signing FA's.

I've tried contacting a few potential GM's but nothing so far.  I hope a newbie wont mind taking over NY, sometimes i quite like doing a rebuilding job and starting from the bottom.  Obviously its nice creating a top side but it can be 'boring' if you win a fair bit.  I think Niki probably wanted a challenge and went to Barcelona after he created a powerhouse with Amsterdam
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: