Fantasy World League Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:26:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
FWL GMs! Register your name with the team name after it, like "TC-Sacramento"!
5375 Posts in 1144 Topics by 25 Members
Latest Member: Jack-NewYork
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Fantasy World League Forum
|-+  FWL Boards
| |-+  Gameday Discussion
| | |-+  Schedule gripe
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Schedule gripe  (Read 2290 times)
jcompton-Orlando
Administrator

« on: May 14, 2010, 09:44:33 PM »

I'd like to ask for a new standing policy that the AFC West not be allowed to send the same team to the AFC East for home-and-home series in back-to-back seasons. It's nothing to do with the fact that it's the Surge--I don't like the FBPro crossover scheduling problem, but even though it's unavoidable, we can at least spread the weirdness around, rather than have it concentrated to just one team. When the East is weak (as it is right now), the teams in the West who don't have the crossover are put at a disadvantage. When the East is strong, having to crossover is a liability for the West team. Best to distribute that as much as possible, no?

I want to be Stan Gelbaugh when I grow up.
Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2010, 05:24:55 AM »

Unsure how you can change the schedule, perhaps David can tell me if theres a utility to do that.

I've always used the schedule the software creates but granted there have been a few 'strange' ones in the past, specially when a team plays the same team in two weeks home/away
jcompton-Orlando
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2010, 12:49:17 PM »

I guess I just assumed you would back up the files before generating the schedule, generate the schedule, and then do it over again from the backups.

How does the game designate which of the five-team divisions has the crossover team? Maybe it would make sense to alternate conferences each year--that would totally avoid the back-to-back problem, with no need to re-run.

That is:

Year 1: AFC West team crosses over to AFC East
Year 2: EFC West team crosses over to EFC East
Year 3: AFC West team crosses over to AFC East

etc.

Paul-London
Administrator

London Monarchs GM

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 04:23:46 PM »

All the files are backed up but i think its the same schedule whatever.

I've noticed similar 'qwirks' in Davids league where a team might play the same team home/away in two weeks.  Obviously its an FBPro issue, shame it doesnt create a different schedule but then again you tend to have now a lot of rivalries created in other divisions as you play them every year !
jcompton-Orlando
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 04:47:16 PM »

All the files are backed up but i think its the same schedule whatever.

That seems very unlikely. I mean, there's some randomness, it's not the same schedule year after year. So unless the randomness is based on some unchangeable seed in the saved files, why wouldn't it be different on a subsequent generation?

I've noticed similar 'qwirks' in Davids league where a team might play the same team home/away in two weeks.

That's wonky, but not totally unprecedented. I'm pretty sure the World League did it. True, it was in the 6-team configuration so it was harder to avoid, but it's nothing I would say must be avoided. The crossover repeating seems like something much easier to avoid. Again, is there any way to designate that the other conference's 5-team division should have the crossover team in a given year? That seems like the best solution and would shake things up a bit.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: